Special thanks to Digital Ocean for sponsoring this week's episode!
Head on over to http://digitalocean.com/doesnotcompute and use the code
doesnotcompute to get a 1gb droplet for free for an entire month. Again, that's a free ssd backed server with a dozen one click installs available for free.
- Rails Conf 2016
- Some classic Aaron Patterson puns
- Being a developer after 40 by Adrian Kosmaczewski
- Firing People by Zach Holman
- (A large) List of programming languages
- Quiet by Susan Cain
- The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg
- Oliver Pattison is a badass
Tips for being thrown into the deep end
- Don't give up
- Don't Panic
- Try to stay positive
- Read read read! Read the docs, the source, read examples
- Take notes of docs and examples
- Find people that have experience and ask questions
- Don't paste any code that you understand and can't explain
- Isolate separate pieces of the app and start with things that you might be familiar with
- Create some type of roadmap with feature specs
Previous Show Notes
If you're looking for a link we've mentioned in the past, head on over to the Does Not Compute Show Notes repo and use GitHub's excellent search tool!
Join Us On Slack
If you've enjoyed the show so far, reach out to us on twitter at @seanwashington and @paulstraw, or join us in the Spec.fm slack community at http://spec.fm/slack!
Leave us a review!
Last but not least, if you haven't rated or reviewed the show yet and you'd like to do us a huge favor, you can do so by clicking here!